Access Alameda

Transportation Services
for Seniors and People with
Disabilities in Alameda County


How much time should I set aside for my trip?

If you are traveling to an appointment, then give the reservation agent the time you need to arrive at your destination. When planning your trip, you or the agent should factor in “cushion” time for you to exit your house, board and disembark from the vehicle, and travel from the paratransit vehicle to your destination. When scheduling a return trip from an appointment (such as a medical appointment), allow some additional time in case the appointment runs a little late.

What information do I need before I schedule a trip?

Before you call to schedule your ride, make sure you have the phone numbers for your home, cell phone, and destination (such as a doctor’s office) to give to the person scheduling your ride. You will also need the address for your pick-up and drop-off locations. Describe your location clearly so the driver can find you.

Can I travel with an attendant, service animal, or mobility device?

Tell the reservation agent if you are traveling with an attendant, service animal, and/or mobility device so the appropriate vehicle can be sent for your ride.

How can I find out about an escort or personal care attendant?

For information on finding transportation escort assistance, call 211, Alameda County’s hotline or social services referrals, or visit Eden Information and Referral’s online Resource Finder at

When can I expect my ride?

Many paratransit programs assign a “window” of time for your pick-up. Be sure to be at the pick-up location at the beginning of your pick-up window. Call your paratransit provider if your ride does not arrive during the pick-up window for your trip. The dispatcher can check on the status of your ride.

What if I have recurring trips?

If you have recurring travel needs at the same time on the same day, ask your provider about scheduling a “standing order.”

What happens if my plans change?

Let your paratransit provider know as soon as possible if there is a change in your trip plans or if you need to cancel your ride.

How can I be best prepared for travel?

Carry a keychain flashlight and whistle with you everywhere. Carry important contact information with you at all times, consider carrying extra medication or snacks in case of delay. Ask about preparedness — at your child’s school, at work, or your neighborhood group. Tell people how to contact you, how to evacuate, and how to prepare. A whistle and flashlight give anyone their own personal alerting and warning system. Use this simple code to communicate: 1 flash/blow for “Yes”,  2 for “No”, 3 for “Help!”

Who can I contact if I have feedback?

All paratransit programs provide the opportunity for riders to file complaints or commendations. Check with your provider for information on how to give your own feedback.

How do I secure my wheelchair on public transit?

AC Transit’s Wheelchair Marking and Tether Strap Program provides riders using mobility aids such as wheelchairs or scooters with the opportunity to meet with AC Transit staff to identify and mark the best points for securing the mobility aid on AC Transit buses. If a mobility device has securement points that are of irregular size or are difficult to access, tether straps designed to work with the securement devices used on AC Transit buses can be installed. There is no charge for participation in the program. For more information, call (510) 891-7113.

How can I get more involved in accessibility in Alameda County?

The Paratransit Advisory and Planning Committee (PAPCO) advises the Alameda County Transportation Commission (CTC) Board on paratransit funding and planning decisions. Meetings are open to the public and members are appointed. PAPCO generally meets on the fourth Monday of the month at 1:00 pm at the Alameda CTC office, 1111 Broadway, Suite 800, Oakland. Call Alameda CTC at (510) 208-7400 or check online at for meeting schedules and locations. There are also local transportation advisory committees; contact the transportation programs you use to find out how you can participate.

How can I access destinations outside of Alameda County?

Public transit services, such as AC Transit and BART, provide connections throughout Alameda County and the Bay Area. These systems often share stops and stations with other transit providers, such as Muni or Caltrain. By dialing 511 or visiting, you can access information on all such transit connections in the Bay Area. If you are riding ADA paratransit, contact your provider at least 2 days in advance and ask how to schedule a regional trip.